Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hole Number 14


I played golf for the first time in a year. I lasted nine holes. Was so stiff I knew that I was going to ache the next day. Hit some good shots, no shot was really really bad. But the cracks in my game (dipping shoulder, looking up, fast swing) were all there, lurking beneath the surface. After six holes on the glorious course, I had scored 5 bogeys and 1 triple bogey, the 5 bogeys could have been easy pars (but met with my bad putts). But hey, Not bad, decided that if I got back into the game, my goal would be to get a solid handicap in a year's time. I figured if I get the MGolf Club share and I play once a week, I can hit a strong bogey round (handicap 18) in no time.

Then something wonderful happened, I stopped trying to prove to my caddy (who really couldn't care less) that I could hit really far. Course management took over--accuracy over distance, focus over ego-- and I hit 2 pars and a birdie. And the birdie was on a rather long par 4. What a thrill.

I was so thrilled I didn't play the rest of the time I was there. Besides, I was aching.

Always good to stop on a high note.

Picture: by R as she watched me head to tee off, Del Monte Golf Club, Bukidnon

1 comment: