Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Peace and Quiet


The view from the 54th floor of a building in the Fort of Manila Golf, Forbes, the Makati skyline, and beyond. Getting up to the helipad was through a maze of giant fans and blowers (the airconditioning units), industrial stairs, and steel doors. And then there was QUIET up there. Very quiet. And the view. Manila so far below, looked neat and clean. I wish.

Then a little farther out to the west was Manila Bay.


I do not miss living in a building this high. The view was a real selling point at the time, but I have only really looked at it when I moved in, and now that I no longer have it. It is breathtaking. I watched a 747 taking off from the international airport nearby, and it took a while to get to our height. How unnatural to fly was my thought, as unnatural to be completely submerged in water. These are not our elements, air and water. Suffice to say I am a nervous flyer, and get seasick driving along Roxas Boulevard just watching the water.

I was very happy to be up there with CD. She is making a 360 degree panorama drawing of this city of ours for her piece in this year's 13 Artists Awards at the CCP. I was there simply because I have never been. A reminder to do something new and different as often as I can.

2 comments: