Monday, December 29, 2008

Time to Play



I got my own room. A studio to play in, with great light and a good mix of empty walls and windows. The first day in it was for organizing about 2 years of my negatives plus my father's negatives (the Moro Negatives) in 3 formats: medium format color, medium format black and white, and 35 mm color.

My negatives are arranged chronologically, labeled with the Shoot Number/Subject Matter/Roll Number/ Date/ Copyright (both the contact prints and the negatives), then stored separately. For analog, I find that it is easier to keep the contact prints in clam shell binders and the negatives in glassine sleeves sequenced in an acid free box. That way I can look at the contact prints without disturbing the negatives, and only pull the negatives out when they are going into the darkroom.

Looking at the Moro Negatives, i am having a hard time dating them-- having to rely on clues such as how old my siblings could have been at the time, or where in the PH were they taken. All the more it makes sense to label contact prints with dates. I've partially solved the problem by involving my mother and a couple of siblings in the identification process. I think that when they see themselves in the '60s and '70s, they'll get a bigger headache than the one I had.

My desk is clean. Time to play.

2 comments:

  1. Merry merry after christmas and pre-new year, curly. The pause is good. Found a site, - www.nomenusquarterly.com- I keep gasping and then sighing- so Manang thinks I have developed asthma.
    happy playtime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks thanks. I like the Red House, the site is a good pause in itself. Hello Junior.

    ReplyDelete