Tuesday, August 11, 2009

6.4, Left to Right Choreography

That was the magnitude of the earthquake that woke me. It was 4:13 this morning but the day was fully bright already. The bed was shaking, left to right. The thought that woke me was not that there was an earthquake but that it was moving me just in the left to right direction. Then I heard the doors to the other rooms opening and the window shades being drawn, and my neighbors in the hallways.

But not a peep from the Japs. They used to it I guess.

I am deathly afraid of earthquakes, but only in the Philippines. Here, I figure the Japanese are such control freaks that they've figured out every way to avert human disaster from earthquakes. They invented the giant ball bearings under buildings right? So a 6.4 magnitude quake hits Tokyo and is felt at 4.5 in Kyoto (where I was), and the whole city sleeps through it. In Manila, brown out na 'yan tapos may nahulog na building na.

No comments:

Post a Comment