Monday, August 3, 2009

Trees

I am finally taking pictures. After three weeks in Tokyo of meeting people, and going around to galleries and museums and all that that. I have picked up the camera and started shooting. And thinking about what I'm shooting. I have also started my trip called Japan West.

Over the weekend, I was in Hiroshima. Went to see the Peace Museum. Heartbreaking and HEAVY stuff. I could not stop praying the whole time I was there (and believe me, I am no saint). Major headache after, needed LOTS of water. Took several photographs of the tattered and (bloody) clothing of victims that were on show. But NONE of them came out, at least none registered on my camera drive. How weird. The only photo that came out:


Glass melted by the explosion, surface temperatures reached 4,000 degrees centigrade. I cannot imagine.

Back to photography: I love trees. I love shooting trees. They were my first photographic subject years ago. I was in a darkroom class, and I had to take some pictures so I exposed my first roll on trees in Central Park. Sounds cheesy, but am still shooting trees ten years later. I've made tree photos from Bontoc to Bhutan, from Kyoto to Whistler, from New York to Bukidnon. One day, I'll put them all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment